Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Listening to Watchmen

Whoever cut the Watchmen trailer deserves a prize. I'm sitting there watching The Owlship rise out of the sea, and Dr. Manhattan exploding Vietcong, and The Comedian being chucked out a window in slow motion and all I can think about the whole time is that they chose to play The Smashing Pumpkins' “The Beginning is the End is the Beginning” behind it. An inspired choice, I thought.

Terrible, terrible song; but an inspired choice.

The movie Batman and Robin is a shit comic book adaptation and an assault against all that is pure and good in humankind. Playing it behind the trailer for a film adaptation of one of the greater graphic novels ever made takes irony to all new heights. I don't know if the finished film will be any good, but the trailer made my day.

Watched the Watchmen trailer in front of the Dark Knight, a really damn good movie. Christian Bale's Batman needs a lozenge.

2 comments:

Shay said...

I'm kinda skeptical of the Watchmen trailer still. While it looks exceptional there is nothing to indicate whether there will actually be a story, and based on the fact that the trailer for 300 also looked really cool I reserve judgement until a longer one comes out. But I'm certainly intrigued.

Imaginary Cigarettes said...

I'm with you on reserving judgment. They'll never touch the book but that's not the point. If they can keep the heart of the thing while adapting it using movie tools, that'll be the interesting thing.

It did stir things in my dead little geek heart to see the Owlship rise out of the river like that and to hear Rorschach's voice for the first time.