Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Shaking some action


Aaaaand we’re back. I guess nothing worth writing about here happened in the last few months huh?

So my friends and I started playing music again this evening. That’s right, we’re putting the band back together. I don’t know if we’re going to keep it up long term, but we are playing once a week all month long and seeing what happens. We wrote together for a few years until all musical creative urges fell comatose and we started playing the same songs over and over. Just like that, playing a song that you helped write and used to love became something to be avoided; all the songs suddenly reminded me of someone I owed money to. Picture five guys standing in a smelly room staring at their shoes waiting to go home. Maybe that was just me that wanted to go home.

Still, when we first started out, helping create new music and playing it real loud was exhilarating (the first half a year especially). Gigs were fun too, although I’d rather be given a killer bee enema and then have my asshole sewn shut than play that shitty jock bar out on Broadway again. Picture tequila vomit in the urinals and and a guy in a backward baseball cap who called me a fag and tried to hit me with a beer bottle after our set. Those images sum the place up nicely.

Lo and behold, tonight was fun again. I’d forgotten how hilariously hard it is to harmonize with the other singer in the band and how unique an opportunity it is to watch Kris jump out of the way of clichés while playing lead guitar. I’ve got much respect for him for suddenly remembering the chords for Teenage Kicks too.

No comments: